Kindling Neighborly Connections between People and Nature.

About Me

My photo
Rich is a nature guide and environmental educator with experience guiding in Pennsylvania and New York. He is a 2009 graduate of Penn State University's Environmental Studies program, a fully insured New York State Licensed Guide, and a Certified Interpretive Guide through the National Association for Interpretation. Rich has a passion for revealing nature's relationships and he wants to help you discover yourself in the gift, the adversity, and the wonder of wild nature.

Friday, December 17, 2021

Feeling Small at Bradford Falls


Today Erin and I set out to find a waterfall in the south part of Bradford County, Pennsylvania, and we ended up stepping into a number of experiences that made us feel small. I'm not talking about the insignificant no good for anything kind of small. I hope you won't let that kind of small dominate your living. Each of us is significant in that we all have different gifts and a unique personality to share with the world. I'm talking about the kind of small that says there are forces in this world that are bigger than me that I have no control over. This kind of small, at least for me, comes as a welcome invitation to choose not to stress or worry about the little things in my life or the big things that are way beyond my control. These moments of feeling small are life-giving. 

First, it was the massive sandstone rocks in and around the creek.

Second, it was an enormous grapevine that was as thick as a firehose and reached to the top of three towering trees in the forest.


Third, it was Bradford Falls; a 60-foot waterfall tucked within a steep forested ravine on the side of Barclay Mountain. 

Go somewhere that makes you feel small. Release the stress and worry. Enjoy the company of the plants and animals who live there. Welcome the gift of those special moments.


No comments:

Post a Comment